Self Employed and Employees

The ACC and the Self-Employed
All self-employed, or private domestic workers must have personal injury cover through the ACC scheme. This scheme provides for work and non-work injury cover.

It offers the following options to the self-employed:

  • ACC Cover Plus - this is the standard cover the self-employed receive automatically.

  • ACC Cover Plus Extra - this allows the self-employed to nominate the level of compensation they will accept if they are injured. This is also available to shareholder employees of companies.

  • ACC Time Out - This is continuous income protection cover for people who are planning a break from work

ACC affect my Employees?">How does ACC affect my Employees?
If you work for a boss you do not need to organise your own accident and personal injury cover. Your employer will pay your workplace injury cover, and cover for non-work injuries is automatically paid with your FED INCOME TAX tax. You can also get weekly compensation paid out in the event of an injury occuring during a break from work. To do this you need to purchase an "ACC Time Out cover".

What about Rehabilitation?
The ACC can help you return to work or get you mobile as quickly as possible if you have been injured in an accident. They can provide a whole range of services to support you during your recovery. If you require further assistance then you can apply to your case manager for extra help and he/she will work out a plan for your rehabilitation.

Assistance that may be made available to you could include:

  • Home help.
  • Care for children.
  • Transport
  • Education
  • Help to get you independent.
  • Modifications to your accommodation.
  • Aids and appliances.

Once you have completed your plan you might have to take part in an independent assessment to find out if you can return to work, but only if you are still receiving compensation.

?">How do I Register for ACC?
If you are self-employed, once you have registered for Sales Tax with the Inland Revenue, the ACC office is automatically notified and your cover will begin immediately. If you are in business, there are three situations where you are required to register for ACC and to pay levies.

These are:

  1. Once you are registered as self-employed and registered for Sales Tax, ACC will be notified by the IRS and you will automatically receive cover for ACC Cover Plus. ACC Cover Plus is a policy which covers personal injury for self-employed people on a 24 hour basis. This cover is for work related as well as non-work related injuries.

    Once you have filed your first business tax return (IR3) your weekly compensation and levies are recalculated and based on the previous year's earnings submitted to the IRS. In the first year of full-time self employment your levy is based on your actual earnings up to $16,016 (this is the minimum). This minimum is then updated every year.

  2. If you are a new employer you will need to register as an employer with the IRS. The IRS will notify ACC that you are employing. In this case you have to provide your employees with cover for work related personal injuries such as provided by ACC workplace cover. The ACC will send to you the new Employee Levy Information form, which should be completed and returned to them.

    The form sets out an estimate of your liable earnings to the end of the current tax year (end of 31 March) and based on information sent to ACC, they will calculate your ACC workplace cover levy and send you an invoice. Two months after the end of the tax year (May) the ACC will receive your actual liable earnings from the IRS. From this the ACC will work out whether there is any under or overpayment and they then issue an invoice adjusting the earnings so the correct amount for the next year's levy is set.

  3. If you are a shareholder / employee (someone who is a shareholder in a company and also employed by the company) the ACC will apply to you, depending on your situation.